The Stars Appeal will now be able to fund two brand new CT scanners for Salisbury District Hospital due to the amazing success of the charity’s CT scanner campaign, and a major donation that has just been received.
Thanks to the incredible support of local people, the Stars Appeal’s CT Scanner Campaign reached its £650,000 target in December 2013, just seven months after its launch.
Now, thanks to a substantial donation received this month from a local charitable trust, along with other donations made after the initial target had been reached, the charity will also be able to upgrade the hospital’s existing seven-year-old CT scanner. This means that later this year, the hospital will have two brand new CT scanners available to local people.
Dr Nick Marsden, who is Chairman of Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust and the Trustees of the Stars Appeal said,
“We are hugely grateful to these generous local supporters for their continued support of our charity, the Stars Appeal. Their wonderful gift combined with those from the many other local people and organisations, who have so brilliantly supported this campaign, will mean that our patients will soon have access to some of the best CT diagnostics possible.”
Consultant Surgeon and Chair of the CT Scanner Campaign Helen Chave said: “When we set out to raise money for the second CT scanner, we could never have dreamed that, less than a year on, we would be in a position to fund two brand new machines. The news of this very significant and generous contribution really is the icing on the cake for us, and I would like to thank everybody who supports the Stars Appeal and has helped to make this wonderful outcome possible."
The upgraded scanner is expected to arrive at the hospital this summer with the second scanner arriving in early autumn. The new scanners will make a great difference to the healthcare of local people. Waiting times will be reduced, there will no longer be a need for patients to travel to other hospitals and some patients will have scans instead of minor operations. Around 12,000 local people will benefit each year, including cancer patients who will get a faster diagnosis, emergency and stroke patients who will be seen more quickly, and many others such as heart, orthopaedic and spinal patients and children.
When both new scanners are in place later this year, the Stars Appeal is planning a celebratory event at which donors and supporters can see the new technology in action. Anyone wishing to attend can email firstname.lastname@example.org to register their interest.
Notes to Editors
Salisbury District Hospital Stars Appeal
- The Stars Appeal is Salisbury District Hospital’s charity. It raises money to create the best possible experience for patients and their families by funding extra care and equipment over and above that provided by the NHS.
- 300,000 people across South Wiltshire, North and East Dorset and West Hampshire, and beyond, rely on Salisbury District Hospital every year.
- Thanks to the generous support of the local community, the Appeal has already funded many projects, large and small, throughout the hospital. They include:
- a Family Accommodation Unit for parents of babies being treated on the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (opened October 2012)
- a range of enhancements within the new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit(opened May 2012)
- additional equipment and facilities worth £1million within the new children’s ward and outpatient unit (opened July 2011)
- a second lab in the Hospital’s Cardiac Suite enabling much interventional work, as well as diagnostics, to be carried out locally (opened 2010)
- a highly advanced keyhole cancer surgery suite (opened 2008)
- state-of-the-art treatment and diagnostic equipment for premature and critically-ill babies
- additional therapy and facilities for patients with cancer and blood disorders on the Pembroke Unit
- a major contribution to the Hospital’s bereavement suite (opened 2010)
- The Stars Appeal has recently successfully completed its £650,000 for a second CT Scanner for Salisbury District Hospital.
- Major events supporting the Stars Appeal in 2014 include the sponsored 3k or 10k Walk for Wards at Wilton House on Sunday 22 June, the Rockbourne Fair at Salisbury Racecourse in October and the Tidworth 10k and 3k Fun Run at Tedworth House Polo Pitches on Sunday 2nd November (to be confirmed).
For further information, please contact:
Dave Cates/Gemma Heath
The Stars Appeal
Salisbury District Hospital
Tel: 01722 429005.