Salisbury District Hospital is 21 years old in 2014 and Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust is marking the occasion with a number of events and activities throughout the year.
In January 1993, acute general and elderly services transferred from the Salisbury infirmary and Newbridge Hospital in Harnham to the newly built Salisbury District Hospital on the Odstock site where it joined other services already running from the site.
This marked the biggest development in the history of healthcare in Salisbury and the beginning of a key phase in the expansion of local services, as the Trust continues to develop and modernise services for patients. Planned events include:
- An exhibition of photographs, stories and memorabilia for staff on January 22.
- The Trust will be using its corridors on level 3 and 4 of the main hospital building so that photographs can go on public display. Parts of the exhibition will be taken out to the public later in the year.
- A ‘celebratory’ menu card for patients and also visitors in Springs Restaurant to mark the anniversary on January 22.
- In April there will be an open day for NHS Foundation Trust members which will showcase the work that takes place across the hospital and celebrate the achievements of staff.
- Staff within their own areas will also have an opportunity to carry out their own activities and events to mark the anniversary year.
Peter Hill, Chief Executive said: “This is a key moment in our history and marks 21 years of continuing change and improvement to local health services. Since we built the new hospital on the old Odstock Hospital site we have added to it with a number of new developments, the biggest of which was a new modern purpose built facility which enabled us to move the regional burns service, elderly care and orthopaedic wards from the older southern end of the site. This also included other key services such as plastic and oral and maxilo facial surgery.”
“Major fundraising campaigns also enabled us to improve services for patients, with a new laparoscopic theatre and children’s unit just two examples of where the generosity of local people has helped develop new facilities through the Stars Appeal. “
“Our staff also continue to lead the way with top class research and a number of awards and achievements that mark Salisbury District Hospital out as a special place to work and receive care and treatment. This is reflected in our work on patient safety, patient experience and the way in which we have involved local people in the development of services, which has been a strength of the hospital for many years and recognised in regional and national awards. ”
Mr Hill added: “This is an opportunity for us to celebrate the achievements of our staff and revisit some of the many improvements that they have had a hand in developing over the past 21 years. It also gives us the opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has contributed in some way to the hospital as we know it today.
Notes to editors:
Some of the many key dates since the 1980s:
- 1984 – Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre opens
- 1987 – Salisbury Hospice opens (extended in 1995)
- 1987 - Work starts on the new Salisbury District Hospital
- 1992 - Genetics and pathology services move into new hospital
- 1993 - All other services move from Salisbury Infirmary and Newbridge Hospital
- 1993 - Salisbury District Hospital official opening
- 1993 - New day surgery unit opens
- 1994 - Salisbury Health Care gets NHS Trust status
- 1994 - New coronary care unit opens
- 1995 - Salisbury Hospice extension opens
- 1996 - Medical engineering workshop opens
- 1998 - Dedicated stroke unit opens
- 1998 - New MRI scanner for Salisbury in dedicated radiology suite
- 2000 - New obstetric theatre opens
- 2001 - New orthopaedic building opens
- 2001 - New CT scanner for Salisbury
- 2002 - New short stay emergency unit opens
- 2004 - New Dermatology Treatment Centre opens
- 2004 - New Endoscopy Unit opens
- 2006 - New major purpose built facility opens for regional burns elderly care, orthopaedic wards plastic and oral maxilo facial surgery, laser treatment and therapy services.
- 2007 - New respiratory department opens
- 2008 – New keyhole theatre suite opens
- 2010 - New cardiac treatment centre opens
- 2010 - New bereavement suite opens
- 2011 - New children’s unit opens
- 2012 - Horatio’s Garden opens
- 2013 - Benson Suite opens
For further information please contact:
Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 01722 425170