We have 2 Recreational Assistants, employed since September 2013, to promote and participate in social activities with patients. They work flexible days around the patients’ needs. They organise events such as supper evenings; trips out to Rugby matches, picnic’s, trips to gardens and to the seaside.
The recreational service is offered to all patients staying in the Spinal Centre, either in groups or for individuals.
Past activities for patients have included:
- Watching a football match at Salisbury, and watching Southampton play Liverpool.
- Visiting Twickenham to watch England vs. Australia; and England vs. Wales. England won both times!
- Watching Japan beat South Africa in the Rugby Union World Cup, in Brighton.
- Visiting Kew Gardens, Avon Beach, Haynes Motor Museum, Salisbury Cathedral, The Mary Rose Exhibition and Portsmouth Harbour.
- Building and carrying lanterns at the Lantern Festival in Salisbury, Attending the carol service at Salisbury Cathedral and celebrating the beginning of Advent with ‘darkness to light’ service in the Cathedral.
- Having had cream teas, fish and chips and pizzas.
- Crabbing at Mudeford with patients and their children.
- Enabling some patients to attend funerals of loved ones
- Helping patients celebrate birthdays and engagements and weddings.
- Listening to many types of music at Salisbury Art Centre
- Going out for curries and lunch in the New Forest
- Visiting Marwell Zoo and been chased by meerkats!
- Taking patients to riding for the disabled
- Visiting ‘Canine Partners’ and seeing how they can offer help to our patients.
- Watching Olympic Class Sailing
- Taking to the water on the marvellous boat ‘WetWheels’ at Southampton
- Helping with the lunchtime events in Horatio’s garden.
- Visiting the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop
- Visiting Poole Quay and looking at the motorbikes there
- Taking patients for haircuts, new glasses, shopping for new clothes, shoes and looking at cars.
- Shouting at the pantomime and crying at the pictures.
- Watching a basketball match at Southampton
- Visiting Stonehenge