As teachers of the deaf we are members of the Specialist Teacher Advisory Service (STAS) which is part Hampshire County Council Children’s Services. All the teachers of the deaf in STAS are qualified teachers who hold the additional, mandatory qualification for teaching deaf children.
We currently work with children from diagnosis until they leave further education, covering the age range of 0-19 years.
In addition to the Specialist Teacher Advisers for hearing impairment (STAHI) we have three Early Years Deaf Instructors who work with our preschool families who choose to use sign language with their babies/children.
STAS work out of three local education offices in Hampshire: Winchester, Basingstoke and Havant. Our service is available to children and young people, families and carers, preschools and nurseries, schools and colleges.
- early intervention and support services
- contributions to statutory assessment
- training and support in educational settings that includes: curriculum access, support strategies, communication needs, resources and equipment –including Radio Aids and deaf awareness training for staff and peers
- formal assessment and reporting
- informal assessments, including classroom observation and feedback
- contributions to home/school liaison:
The Winchester based STAHI team supports children diagnosed at Salisbury.
All new referrals from Salisbury should be sent to:
Specialist Teacher Advisory Service (HI)
Children’s Services Department
Winchester Local Office
Tel: 01962 876345
Fax: 01962 840668