Salisbury Foundation Trust

Spinal Injury Nursing

The Nursing Team consists of approximately 70 staff, with Registered Nurses, Senior Nursing Assistants, and Nursing Assistants. In addition to Registered Nurses, some of the senior nursing assistants are also highly trained and competent within defined parameters, to care for spinal cord injured ventilator dependent patients.

Fundamental to providing a specialist service we are committed to providing a high standard of quality care through an ongoing education, development and staff training programme.

Patients Admitted to the Centre

All patients have spinal cord damage resulting in complete (total) paralysis, with no movement or sensation below the spinal cord lesion or incomplete (partial) paralysis, with some movement and/or sensation preserved below the level of the lesion. Trauma accounts for approximately 80% and non-traumatic/disease process the remaining 20%. The age range of patients is 16 – 80+.

Spinal Centre Registered Nurse

Did you know that as a Spinal Centre Registered Nurse you will enable patients to learn the lifelong skills they need for their future?

You will use all your knowledge and clinical abilities to develop specialist skills from a supportive and hard working team.



  • enable me to live my life.                                                     
  • care for my family and friends.
  • know that I will challenge you.
  • use all your clinical expertise.
  • know that I may make you laugh and cry but together we will succeed.
  • know that you will enable me to learn about my care.
  • treat me as an individual, to listen and give me time to come to terms with my life-changing spinal cord injury.
  • know that your reward is seeing me succeed in caring for myself and in turn enhancing your own skills.


We asked our Team to say in a few words why they like working here, they said: 

  • “I like the complexity of the nursing needed”
  • “I enjoy SCI nursing because it is challenging”
  • “I get great job satisfaction”
  • “I love the team working”
  • “It is so rewarding”
  • “I know I am making a difference”



The Trust provides newly qualified Registered Nurses with a Preceptorship Programme led by the Trust Education Team This consists of a comprehensive development programme, with the option to undertake a 2 year rotation programme within the Musculoskeletal Directorate, which includes, orthopaedic’s, Burns and Plastic Surgery including Maxillary Facial surgery.


The Spinal Centre have recently designed a new development and competency programme in addition to a taught induction programme, to enable new nursing staff to learn specialist skills in nursing the newly paralyzed patient following spinal cord injury.


There are also regular ongoing teaching sessions for new topics and refresher training. Within the Trust there is a range of training programmes that essentially focus on ensuring patients receive safe and effective care.

To support student, Staff Nurses will be able to undertake their Mentorship Preparation programme.

If you have been qualified for some time, perhaps you would be interested in a Leadership programme

What Next?

If you would like to visit and learn more about the Spinal Centre and the work we do that you could learn to do, please contact:

We look forward to hearing from you.

Our staff at Salisbury District Hospital have long been well regarded for the quality of care and treatment they provide for our patients and for their innovation, commitment and professionalism. This has been recognised in a wide range of achievements and it is reflected in our award of NHS Foundation Trust status. This is afforded to hospitals that provide the highest standards of care.

Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust, Salisbury District Hospital, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 8BJ
T: 01722 336262 E:
© 2021 Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
Trust Values